Nothing is quite as heartbreaking as the sad look in your dog’s eyes whenever you leave the house. If you are anything like me, your dog is part of your family, and it is not easy to imagine leaving them behind when you go on vacation. Knowing how sad they will be is enough to keep you from going. But don’t let it stop you!
There are plenty of luxury pet friendly hotels across the US where you can take your pup on the swankiest vacation of your dreams. So before you start stressing out, know that we’ve got you covered!
We’ve compiled a list of USA’s 10 best luxury pet-friendly hotels:
- 1 Hotel West Hollywood: Los Angeles, CA
- Baron’s Cove: Sag Harbor, NY
- La Posada De Sante Fe Resort and Spa: Santa Fe, NM
- Cypress Inn: Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA
- Basin Harbor: Lake Champlain, Vermont
- Pasea Hotel and Spa: Huntington Beach, CA
- The Old No. 77 Hotel: New Orleans, LA
- Bobby Hotel: Nashville, TN
- Boston Harbor Hotel: Boston, MA
- St Regis Aspen Resort: Aspen, CO
They not only allow pets but provide extra services to make their stay extra comfortable.
Luxury Pet Hotels vs Luxury Pet Friendly Hotels
Luxury pet hotels are designed for dogs and cats, not humans. In comparison, luxury pet-friendly hotels are created for humans with accommodations for their pets.
The Top 10 Luxury Pet Friendly Hotels in the US
Note: Hotel prices, fees and policies are constantly changing depending on the time of year and current demand.
1 – 1 Hotel West Hollywood: Los Angeles, CA
1 Hotel West Hollywood is a stunning oasis at the base of the Hollywood Hills. The rooms feature calming neutral tones and natural elements that ooze sustainable luxury.
During your stay, dine at the all-organic hotel restaurant, join a yoga class at the gym, book a treatment at the wellness spa, or try out their Face Gym. They have everything you need for a tranquillizing self-care getaway!
They understand that your pets are your family. The concierge can provide all the information you need to take care of your pup while traveling, including groomers, pet sitters, and dog parks.
Rooms start at around $530 a night.
- NO PET FEE and various pet amenities.
- They also offer several special offers to help make the trip more affordable.
- It is a bit pricey if you aren’t looking for a relaxing wellness-style retreat.
2 – Baron’s Cove: Sag Harbor, NY
Baron’s Cove is a “fresh and bright” resort in a quiet and relaxing setting. With views of the water or harbor on all sides and charming nautical-style rooms.
During your stay, you can enjoy the award-winning resort restaurant or relax by one of the cozy fireplaces in the Lounge.
The Travels with Charley package lets you bring your furry companion to a luxe dog-friendly room, complete with a doggy welcome kit. You can stay in one of the Village Garden Rooms with private decks.
They start around $680 in the summer.
- It is a great destination to travel to with your dog due to all the dog-friendly outdoor activities!
- You get your own dog-friendly cottage to yourself.
- You can only stay with your dog in one of their pet-friendly rooms, so space is limited.
3 – La Posada De Sante Fe Resort and Spa: Santa Fe, NM
A stunning resort and spa that perfectly displays Santa Fe’s rich history and culture. Warm adobe casita-style accommodations surrounded by landscaped lawns blanketed in warm New Mexico sun.
You’ll find incredible dining, art, a full-service spa, and gorgeous suites. There is also a year-round pool, hot tub, and a 24 hour fitness center. A magnificent setting for a wedding, especially if you want your fur baby to be the ring bearer!
Your pup will be greeted with a treat and a smile! With six acres of manicured lawn on the property, there is plenty of space to walk, or run, your pup. The concierge can also provide you with a list of pet activities in the area.
It starts at around $250 on weekdays and $310 on weekends. Pet fee: $150 non-refundable.
- The hotel property provides plenty of green space for you and your dog.
- They also offer a lot of specials.
- You can leave your dog in a crate in the room when you go if you’d like.
- You must pay a “daily resort fee” to gain access to most of the resort amenities.
4 – Cypress Inn: Carmel-by-the-Sea, CA
This elegant and charming hotel is in the heart of Carmel, a coastal town known for being extremely dog friendly. You can take your pup to the beach or walk through town to meet the locals.
For over 20 years, legendary singer and actress Doris Day and her business partner Dennis LeVett have owned the hotel. Doris Day is a deeply devoted animal lover, so they pride themselves on being the “pet-friendliest hotel in the pet-friendliest town in America.”
They provide pet blankets in the rooms and a list of approved pet sitters at the front desk. You’ll also find pick-up bags and paw-washing stations in the courtyard.
Standard rooms start at around $299/night, and the deluxe rooms start at about $450/night.
Pet fee: $30/night for 1, $50/night for 2, or $70/per night for three.
- You can bring up to 3 pups, and there is no weight limit.
- The hotel offers several pet amenities and is close to dog beach!
- Some deluxe rooms have partial ocean view or a private patio.
- The standard rooms look very basic for the price.
- Parking is limited, and there is a $25 fee.
5 – Basin Harbor: Lake Champlain, Vermont
Since 1886, Basin Harbor has been a quaint lakeside resort with lodge-style rooms and cottages. Surrounded by incredible views and fresh air, it sits on 700 acres and provides direct access to the lake.
They have everything you need for the whole family to play outside. From a golf course and lawn games to paddle boats and a water trampoline. When you get hungry, they have multiple restaurants to meet your cravings.
They encourage guests to bring their pets by providing pet-friendly cottages, dog biscuits, and pick-up mitts. Your fur baby can even play on their private beach! Some places are “pee-free,” like the pool and guest waterfront areas.
In the summer, rooms start at around $300/night.
Pet fee: $20/day per pet.
- Your dog can play on their private beach!
- Perfect family destination with lots of family and dog-friendly outdoor activities.
- The dog-friendly cottages are limited so book in advance!
6 – Pasea Hotel and Spa: Huntington Beach, CA
Mere steps from the beach and a short walk to the iconic Huntington Beach Pier, Pasea Hotel offers a luxurious oceanside stay to all its guests. The beautiful rooms make you feel like you are on the beach. They feature floor-to-ceiling windows and modern beach decor.
You can relax at the pool cabanas, get a treatment at the spa, or enjoy coastal cuisine at their restaurant. They even have beach bikes, electric cruisers, and scooters available to rent!
Upgrade your stay with the VIP (very important pet) package, which includes pet accommodations in the room, a waived pet fee, complimentary redemptions around the hotel, and fun keepsakes. They have a Paw-Sea play park for your pup to run around in and recommendations for pet sitters or dog walkers.
Prices start around $360/night.
Pet fee: $150 (inquire hotel for cost of the VIP package).
- The hotel offers a dog-friendly play park!
- Easy beach access, rentals and activities for solo travelers, couples, families, and pet parents.
- Many restrictions on where your dog can go.
7 – The Old No. 77 Hotel: New Orleans, LA
Seated only three blocks from the infamous French Quarter, Old No. 77 is a fine boutique hotel that acts as a perfect gateway to the culture and charm of historic New Orleans. It is home to a rotating art gallery, Provenance Signature Amenities, and one of the top restaurants in New Orleans.
If you appreciate unique and expressive art decor with rustic charm, you’ll enjoy the hotel’s exposed brick, poetic artwork, and well-kept hardwood floors. Dine at Compere Lapin for Caribbean and Creole eats or Tout La for craft coffees and pastries.
Pets are welcome! You can add the VIP (very important pets) upgrade, and they will help you easily travel with your pet. The upgrade includes a comfortable pet bed, food, a water bowl, and a welcome kit full of treats, toys, and pet resources.
Rooms start at around $114/night on weekdays with their membership.
Pet fee (upgrade): $30.
- They offer great deals, a membership program, and various pet-friendly amenities and resources.
- The hotel is ideally located just three blocks from the French Quarter.
- There isn’t much space for dogs to run around or do their business (but that’s expected in an urban area).
8 – Bobby Hotel: Nashville, TN
Within walking distance of Nashville’s main strip, Broadway, you will find the charming Bobby Hotel. The warm and cozy rooms are decked-out with the finest bedding and luxurious amenities, such as a rainfall showerhead. When you decide to leave your comfy room, you can enjoy 24-hour gym access, spa services, incredible dining, and a rooftop lounge full of tasty cocktails and good vibes.
This lovely and eclectic hotel is full of unexpected treasures, including a furry friend of their own. They have a Dog-In-Residence program where they adopt and train dogs to be emotional support animals.
Then after a year of training, they donate the precious pup to a U.S Veteran in need. Bobby’s pup in residence will greet you and your doggo. Your pup is allowed in the lobby and cafe, and you can request dog bowls and beds to be delivered to your room.
Rooms start at around $450 a night.
Pet fee: $50/dog with a maximum of two.
- The hotel is ideally located in the art district and there is a park within walking distance.
- There are standard king rooms with balconies.
- Your dog has limited access, so you might need to find additional pet resources during your stay.
9 – Boston Harbor Hotel: Boston, MA
Look no further than Boston Harbor Hotel for spacious and extravagant rooms designed to be comfortable and luxurious. An urban waterfront resort with concierge service, a 24/7 fitness center, a lap pool, a steam room, and a turndown service.
You’ll find complimentary Wi-Fi, in-room tablets, smart TVs, and luxe linens in all the rooms. Guests can bring up to two pets per room for a daily fee. There aren’t many pet amenities. However, they do provide a pet walking service for an extra cost.
Rooms start around $550/night.
Pet fee: $100/day per pet.
- You are close to the harbor waterfront, a great place to take your dog for a walk.
- The hotel is walking distance to many fine dining restaurants, cafes, breweries and culture.
- There are a lot of add-on fees for pets and other amenities.
10 – St Regis Aspen Resort: Aspen, CO
St. Regis offers five-star luxury at the base of Aspen Mountain, where guests can ski in the winter or go hot air ballooning in the summer.
You can shop at the boutiques in historic Aspen or look out over the mountains from their heated pool or hot tubs. When you’re done, return to your stunning room with lavish linens, a fireplace, and upscale mountain decor.
Pets are allowed, and the hotel provides a dog bed and dog bowl. However, inquire with the hotel for pet fees or additional amenities that they offer, such as dog sitting and dog walking. They even have a ‘hotel dog’ named Kitty in honor of the hotel founder, John Jacob Astor IV, who also had a dog named Kitty!
Rooms start at around $699 a night, depending on the time of year.
- It is one of the most luxurious ski resorts in the world.
- There are endless outdoor activities for you and your pup.
- Butler services are available to every guest.
- It is expensive.
- Inquire with the hotel before booking for more information regarding their specific pet policies.
Alternatives to luxury pet-friendly hotels
I know all these luxurious hotels sound incredible, but they can significantly increase your trip’s cost. If you are concerned about that, keep in mind that there are other options.
1st – Find a pet-friendly Airbnb
There are plenty of dog-friendly Airbnbs around the country. In some cases, they might even be better than one of these luxury hotels because you won’t have to worry about other guests.
2nd – Look for more affordable dog-friendly hotels
There are plenty of nationwide chains that allow pets. They won’t have the extra amenities, but your pup can still join you.
3rd – Utilize daycares or pet-sitters on location
Get creative! Check out apps like Rover that help you connect with pet-sitters in the area.
In our experience
Plenty of options allow you to bring your furry family member on vacation with you. Whether you want to stay in the city’s heart or at a relaxing resort, your pup can go along for the ride. Now once you’ve decided on your pet-friendly accommodations, it is time to start creating your packing checklist for traveling with your dog!
It might require you to spend a little money or find creative solutions, but either way, you can avoid seeing those sad puppy-dog eyes when you leave for your vacay.